Making Sense of Change
Recently I attended a work sponsored Leadership Day Conference and the topic was Managed Change. My employer was purchased by a large company and every department is affected. (consolidating departments, pay scale changes, merit increase changes, benefit changes to name a few) I could really identify with the speaker's segment describing the Emotions vs Rationality through the course of change.
- Immobilization ** trying to understand and take it in
- Denial** thinking this will never happen
- Anger** it becomes real and I see how it impacts my world
- Bargaining** end of hanging on
- Depression ** can be reflection
- Exploration** starting to embrace idea of what's happening
- Acceptance** kosher and cool
At times in my life, I have gone backwards through this process, trying to fight change as it still happens. It is natural to feel awkward as change ensues but we always get pick our attitude.